Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Zoo is the place for You

  The zoo/kid fun fair was held at the Eastern States Exposition today. My husband, myself and little ones went in toe excited to see the "heavies" as my little boy calls elephants. I noticed that you could get free tickets to the show from local gas stations. We did that, and those free tickets were great, but we should have been told that you had to pay for parking, plus tickets were 10.00 for adults, and then once arriving that the rides were 1.25 per ticket, that you needed more tickets to get on a ride than just one. The 100lb rat, was a capabara. The sheep were plentiful and my children loved every minute of it. I'm so happy they did. It was a nice weekend event.
  The animals were arranged in a neat little pen. Each one had a name and each pen had some pellet machines that were a quarter for a little handful. We fed  sheep, goats, Zebu's and talked with Macaw's. The noise of the merry-go-round overtook the Better Living Center, and the children ran back and forth to that animal and this one. My son loved the elephant ride. I was worried that one might go rouge. I literally imagined this as I stepped onto the saddle. My son placed in front of me smiling as wide as a watermelon. I on the other hand heard the sound of my heart as I readied myself for a possible rogue escape. I saw the elephant moving slowly, felt his legs shifting mightily and really suddenly wished him  some freedom. Its a crazy conundrum. To be free or not to be? That elephant was quite tired, as the drooping skin over his eyes could tell any on looker. The sound of the merry-go-round continued to tromp through any other conversations. The camel was alone, and according to my husband who worked for a travelling petting zoo at one time, he was not happy. I wouldn't be either if I had little ones bouncing on my back all day long. But, hey everyone needs a job. Right?
  My son learned: that a elephant can be ridden. That sheep have long shaggy fur, that animal pens can be seen with your nose from about ten feet or more. Kangaroo's sleep on their backs with their legs splayed. A capabara is a rodent but is definitely not a rat. That daddy and mommy like animals, and a monkey pen is actually a pen filled with lemur's not monkeys.
I have included some information on lemur's....The best thing we spent the day as a family, looking, shopping and learning together.

No comments:

Post a Comment